The pace of life is certainly picking up this month. Lot’s of stuff going on with the Icelandic Canadian Club of Toronto. Last night I attended a cocktail party to meet Iceland’s Ambassador to Canada, Þórður Ægir Óskarsson. He just so happens to be from my grandfathers hometown and knew some of my family members. It’s a small world and Iceland is even smaller.
Anyways, lets get to some links shall we?
- The B.C. liberals have found themselves in hot water after “a plan to win ethnic votes” was discovered.
- Venezuelan President, Hugo Chavez, died on March 5th. He had been suffering from cancer.
- Ontario is thinking of banning marketing of junk food towards kids under 12.
- Ontario is also likely to increase tuition fees, but no more than 5%. Somehow I don’t think students will fight it like in Quebec.
- HBC is starting a large re-branding campaign.
- Target opened up it’s first shops in Canada in Guelph, Milton and Fergus. Take a look at some of the pictures here.
- In spite of the U.S. spending cuts, the Dow Jones hit an all-time high March 5th. Somehow I don’t think it’s really going to make much change.
- A teen suffering from an asthma attack was denied using a phone at a London Tim Hortons.
- Travis Gerrits won a silver medal at the world championship for freestyle aerials, also qualifying him for Sochi Games. Side-note, I’m craving the Olympics.
- Cindy Klassen, Ivanie Blondin and Kali Christ won a silver medal in the team pursuit in the Netherlands. I used to compete with Ivanie, I was slow, she was fast. Good work!
- Interesting stuff! Fossils found in Canada suggest camels evolved in the North. Bones were found on Ellesmere Island.
- Stompin’ Tom Connors, died at 77 in his home in Ontario.
- I don’t know much about the Royal Conservatory music levels/scores but 18 year old Rashaan Allwood scored a perfect 100.
- This article is right out of a rom com. A man in London Ontario is hoping to become a dad without a romantic relationship.
- The Toronto Star did a piece on unpaid internships. Yikes. I’m in the application process for jobs and internships. An unpaid life isn’t easy when you’ve been paying for school and you have to start paying back your loans. Yikes indeed.
- Facebook is planning on making changes to the news feed.
- Yes I watch Glee, yes I like Archie comics. Enjoy this.
- Ásgeir Trausti and his beautiful voice will be in Toronto as part of Taste of Iceland. Give this song a listen.
- Whenever I turn on the radio, which isn’t very often, this song is on. Here’s a MS paint version.
- Finally, this song is my spirit animal right now.